Goodbye School Hello Curiosity

One of my main reasons for taking the kids out of school was that I was watching their personalities disappear. Who they were was slowly being erroded by the need to fit in, conform and blend.

My son had stopped talking. Not entirely, he hadn’t become a mute, but he rarely had anything to say for himself, comunicated often in grunts and one word answers or said what ever he thought would lead you to leaving him alone the fastest. He had lost his confidence in being able to explain himself, or rather his confidence in holding anyones attention long enough to get the muddle of words out of his head and make the listener understand what he wanted to say. We didn’t talk. I asked questions and tried to decipher his grunts, shrugs and mumbles.

My daughter had lost herself entirely. My wild, strong willed, independent ball of excited, creative fun had tried so hard to fit in and please, to make teachers and pupils alike love her, that she had managed to render herself almost entirely invisible. She frequently found herself left out at playtime, not chosen for things in the classroom and completely bewildered and saddened as to why.

And neither of them had any interest in the world. They had stopped asking questions about how and why things worked and happened. Had no interest in anything outside school except tv and computer games. My son even stopped wanting to go and play at friends houses. He just wanted to stay home and sit in front of his xbox. At least there he had control, there he could make characters do what he wanted, there was no miscommunication and confusion. And my beautifully big-hearted daughter wanted to just disappear into the fantasy of feel good schmaltzy films where being nice and friendly were positive traits that made everyone love you in the end.

A couple of months into home ed and my God the changes are astounding. For a start their curiosity about the world around them is overwhelming. From not giving a rats ass about the world we now can’t walk to the shop or drive down the street without a barrage of questions and statements to test their understanding of things. From how street names work, speed limits and advertising boards to where wool comes from, what is a government and how laws are made. They both chatter incessantly at me and to each other, questioning and working things out.

And they play, they relish the outdoors and actively want to go places, meet up with friends and sit together reading, crafting or learning. Maths text books are an exciting challenge, board games are tremendous fun and cards, dice and marbles a great source of entertainment.

Of course they both still want to disappear into their xbox games or films but they are becoming much more of a source of entertainment rather than a place to hide and seek solace. The great big world out there is becoming their playground and the smiles and laughter go from morning to night.

home ed fun

8 Comments on Goodbye School Hello Curiosity

1. Katie Clark
    March 14, 2014 at 12:00 pm (8 months ago)

This is wonderful. I’m so glad you’re happy with your decision and that home ed is working for you. We love it but we haven’t had the experience of school (well, only mine as a teacher!) to compare it to.

2. Midlife Singlemum
    March 14, 2014 at 11:53 pm (8 months ago)

That is amazing! OK, the big question – you can only do it if you don’t need to go out to work right? Or do you work at home, fitting in your computer time around the kids? You can tell me to mind my own business, I’m just curious how it works with work.
    Midlife Singlemum recently posted…Costume FightMy Profile

• Heather
      March 20, 2014 at 11:46 am (8 months ago)

Mind you own business! Ha ha ha, joking. I don’t know how other people do it, but yeah, I couldn’t do it if I had to work out of the home cause I wouldn’t be here. I do work, but from home and the work is flexible enough that i can fit it in around the kids and what we are doing that day.

3. Mary Yucel
    March 15, 2014 at 10:11 am (8 months ago)

I think you have made exactly the right decision. I homeschooled my two until they were legally obliged to attend school. We live in Turkey and I am British-American. This is a list of resources I found particularly useful, some of them are very American, but things like the blow up solar system (we inflated and learnt about a new planet each week), the velcro body (we learnt and attached a new organ each week) and particularly the book “how the earth works” I can’t recommend enough. http://www.amazon.co.uk/homeschooling-first-grade-year-1/lm/R3F3XD6OUU2JOS/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_1
    Happy days to you,
    Mary

• Heather
      March 20, 2014 at 11:49 am (8 months ago)

That’s an awesome list, thanks Mary! I love the blow up solar system and the geography experiments. There are loads of great resources there.

4. Sim @ Sims Life
    March 26, 2014 at 5:34 pm (7 months ago)

They have already changed so much, in such a short space of time! Thoroughly enjoyed helping them make their cards yesterday! They will learn so much just from everyday life without the regime bringing them down! Good on you love, proud of you and the kids xx
    Sim @ Sims Life recently posted…Review: Skoda Rapid Spaceback – Family ReviewMy Profile

5. DC
    September 16, 2014 at 4:02 pm (2 months ago)

Hope it works out well for them. From another perspective, it looks though like such a lost chance to teach them how to properly interact with the world WITHOUT losing themselves. Like all tough situations, it was an opportunity and the choice to walk away from it (taking them out of the situation as opposed to supporting them through it so that they come stronger and better at the other end) is a valid choice, but also a loss.