If any of these rules are not clear, please refer to the FAQs (coming soon), and if you still can’t find the answer you are looking for, please email me. These rules apply to all members of the Secret Post Club. If you don’t like them, please let me know, but until they change, all members of the Secret Post Club must comply with them.
Please note that I reserve the right to use my discretion in deserving cases, e.g. not removing people from the club when there are exceptional circumstances.
1. Postee notification:You will be notified on the 1st of the month of the details of your postee for that posting month. If you haven’t received these by the 2nd, you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don’t, and as a result don’t get a parcel to your allocated postee in time, your parcel will either be considered as late (see Rule 6) or missing (see Rule 9).
2. Parcel contents: Parcel contents must be legal, not offensive (unless that’s appropriate to your postee!) and of a value less than £10 (about €15/$15).
3. Posting deadline: You must post your parcel by the 15th of that posting month, and mark that you have done so on the spreadsheet
4. Posting requirements: All posters must post their parcels suitably packaged with adequate postage for standard mail or airmail if posting abroad, and obtain proof of postage of their parcels.
5. Late parcel notification: If you are going to be late posting your parcel, you must update the spreadsheet with this information.
6. Frequent lateness: If you are late posting more than twice in any 6 months, you will be taken off the Secret Post Club postee list. You may be put back on the waiting list to join the club on request after 2 months at my discretion.
7. Club membership suspension: If you can’t take part in any month, you must email email@example.com by the 25th of the previous month to be removed from the list for that month. If you fail to do so, your parcel will either be considered as late (see Rule 6) or missing (see Rule 9).
8. I didn’t receive a parcel: If you do not receive a parcel, you must check the spreadsheet on the last day of the month and check where it is with your poster. It may be the parcel is coming from abroad. However, if the parcel is still missing 2 weeks after posting if it was coming from a poster in the same country, or 4 weeks if coming from another country, we have to assume it is lost. If the poster has proof of postage, that’s just life – no parcel for you that month. If not, expect a bumper parcel next month!
9. The parcel I sent didn’t turn up: If you have posted a parcel which hasn’t arrived 2 weeks after posting in the same country, 4 weeks from another country, and you do not have proof of postage, you must send another parcel to that postee as well as your new postee by the 15th of the next posting month. If you don’t replace the parcel, you will be removed from the postee list. Missing parcels for which there is no proof of postage, but which are replaced, are considered as late parcels (see Rule 6 above), and you won’t be removed from the list unless you are late or your parcel is lost more than twice in 6 months. If you are posting to or from a country where missing post is rife, don’t worry, I’ll use my discretion!
10. The world has gone mad, so my parcel is late!: If your parcel is late because of something mad, and widespread, like (picking something so surreal it couldn’t possibly happen) an Icelandic volcano closing European airspace, or even something more mundane like a postal strike, don’t worry, I’ll take this into consideration when considering your “lateness”, and you almost certainly won’t be put on the naughty step for it. Unless it’s a very isolated Icelandic volcano which only affects you…
11. Your information: Your information will be held by me, using google contacts and google spreadsheets to manage it. I only use it for managing the club, and I won’t use it for anything else. The club is very popular, so if I get other people to help me at a later date, they may also gain access to your information. In addition, the sign-up information you provide, and any updates to it, will be passed to other members of the club as and when you become their postee. Please do not provide me with any information that you are not willing to have shared with all members of the club.
These rules are in affect from 30th April 2010